Hiking Bakers Mountain in Hickory NC: History, Humor and a View Worth the Climb
Did you know that Bakers Mountain is the highest point in Catawba County, has rocks that may date back around 400 million years, and was reportedly used as a hiding place by Tories during the American Revolution? I didn't know most of that either when I headed out to hike it. I was mainly there to take on the Blue Trail, get a good workout, make my way to the top and hopefully end up with a beautiful view.
Bakers Mountain Park is in Hickory, North Carolina, and Catawba County lists the mountain at 1,780 feet, the highest elevation point in the county. The park itself protects 189 acres of mature forest and has almost 4.5 miles of hiking trails that range from easier walks to some pretty good climbs. There is also a mountaintop observation area overlooking the Catawba Valley, which was exactly where I was trying to get.
There are several trails to choose from, and I knew before I started that I wanted the Blue Trail. The Red Trail gives you another way around the mountain and felt like the more reasonable choice, but apparently I wasn't interested in being reasonable that day. The Blue Trail looked steeper, which meant more climbing and a better workout, so blue it was.
Naturally, standing at the trail map looking at red and blue immediately made me think of The Matrix. Red pill or blue pill? Neo chose red. I chose blue. His decision completely changed his understanding of reality. Mine mostly resulted in sweating.
Starting Out at Bakers Mountain
One thing I like about Bakers Mountain is that you don't immediately get thrown onto a difficult trail. Near the parking area there are restrooms, picnic shelters and a paved section where you could take a much easier walk if climbing a mountain isn't on your agenda that day. The official park information says there is a quarter-mile paved ADA-accessible trail near the parking area as well.
And while we're talking about the restrooms, I highly recommend taking advantage of them before beginning the hike. I'm not going to turn this into some inspirational hiking lesson. I just know that several miles later I was thinking about that bathroom again.
We had gotten quite a bit of rain before my hike, and you could definitely tell once I entered the woods. Some parts of the trail were muddy and the rocks were wet enough that I had to watch where I was stepping. I was wearing my red hiking shoes and hoping they wouldn't come back looking completely brown, but I figured that's what hiking shoes are for.
The rain also seemed to bring out mushrooms everywhere. I found several different kinds along the trail, including some big chunky ones that looked nothing like the mushrooms you normally see at a grocery store. Then I found another one that looked much more like a cartoon mushroom. I was only missing a tiny little fairy or something sitting underneath it.
The forest at Bakers Mountain is actually interesting on its own. Catawba County describes it as a mature Chestnut Oak forest, and the mountain supports plants and habitats that feel more like the North Carolina mountains than you might expect this close to Hickory.
A Forest That Used to Look Completely Different
Here's something I definitely wouldn't have guessed while walking through all those trees: Bakers Mountain wasn't always this heavily forested.
During the 1920s through the 1940s, parts of the mountain were largely deforested because of logging and wildfires. Today you're walking through thick woods, but someone standing in the same area about a century ago could have been looking at a very different landscape.
American chestnut trees also once played a much bigger role in these woods. Catawba County says they dominated parts of Bakers Mountain until chestnut blight devastated the population by the 1950s. Some old root systems still survive and continue sending up new sprouts even though the trees themselves rarely reach their former size.
I love facts like that because I could have walked straight past one of those little sprouts and never realized it was connected to a forest that existed here generations ago.
Of course, while all this history was quietly sitting around me, I was busy walking into spiderwebs.
Spiderwebs, Mr. Stick and a Very Relaxed Creek
I don't know why I always seem to be the person who discovers the spiderweb first, but apparently my face was doing free trail maintenance that day.
After walking into another web, I finally decided I needed equipment.
I found a stick.
His name became Mr. Stick.
Mr. Stick wasn't particularly sophisticated, but his job was important. He went in front of me and found the spiderwebs before my face did.
Problem solved.
Eventually the trail brought me down near the creek, which was one of the most relaxing parts of the hike. After the muddy ground and climbing, I stopped for a little while just to listen to the water. It was quiet enough that I could imagine sitting there with a book and doing absolutely nothing for a while.
The creek was very chill.
I know because it just went with the flow.
Yes, I actually made that joke.
No, I'm not taking it back.
There Are 400-Million-Year-Old Rocks Out Here
This was one of my favorite things I found while researching Bakers Mountain afterward.
Some of the rock formations around Bakers Mountain are part of what geologists call the Cat Square terrane, and Catawba County says the material associated with these metamorphic rocks may have been deposited roughly 430 to 380 million years ago.
Four hundred million years.
I was standing there worrying about flies and muddy shoes while rocks around me had survived hundreds of millions of years.
There are even formations along the Bakers Mountain trail system that locals have named Devil's Den and Vulture Rock. The county's featured hike places those formations along one of the mountain routes during the steeper climb toward the top.
The mountain itself is what's known as a Piedmont monadnock, basically an isolated mountain or hill that stands noticeably higher than the land surrounding it. That's why Bakers Mountain sticks out so clearly when you see it from around the Hickory area.
Then I Found an Old Home in the Woods
One of the best surprises on my Blue Trail hike was coming across the old Clark homesite.
There are still stone remains in the woods, including sections of the foundation and fireplaces. I remember walking around looking at the rocks and trying to picture where the rooms might have been. Historical ruins always get my imagination going because somebody didn't just visit that spot once. Somebody woke up there every morning and called it home.
Afterward I learned a lot more about the family.
Henry and Julieta Clark lived there with their children during the 1930s and early 1940s. Their home was a two-story frame house with three fireplaces. Two fireplaces provided heat and another in the kitchen was used for cooking. They didn't have electricity, so the family used lanterns for light and got water from nearby springs and the stream. They even had a root cellar that was dug using a mule pulling a digging tool.
That's the kind of history I enjoy because it's not just a date on a sign. You can actually stand there looking at the old fireplace and picture somebody cooking dinner beside it.
The A.G. Clark Story Goes Much Further Than Bakers Mountain
There is also a memorial at the old homesite honoring A.G. Clark, one of the Clark children, and his story ended up being much bigger than I expected.
Clark joined the U.S. Army in 1940 and became a member of the 12th Infantry Regiment of the 4th Infantry Division. That regiment landed at Utah Beach on D-Day, participated in the liberation of Paris, fought through the Hürtgen Forest and later fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Clark received several military awards, including the Purple Heart, Bronze Star Medal and Combat Infantryman Badge.
He was killed in action in Germany on February 9, 1945.
His remains were eventually returned to Catawba County, and he is buried at Mountain Grove Baptist Church.
That's a pretty remarkable story to find connected to the remains of a little house sitting quietly along a hiking trail outside Hickory.
Bakers Mountain Has Revolutionary War History Too
And the history goes back even farther.
The mountain got its name from the Baker family, who settled near it in the late 1700s. Catawba County's history of Bakers Mountain says the mountain also served as a hideout for Tories during the American Revolutionary War.
People have also apparently been hiking this mountain for fun long before YouTube existed.
In the early 1900s, families and church groups gathered around Bakers Mountain for large picnics. One annual First Baptist Sunday School picnic reportedly attracted more than 200 people, with hiking up the mountain being part of the day's activities.
So I wasn't doing anything particularly original.
People were eating lunch and climbing Bakers Mountain more than a hundred years before me.
They probably didn't spend quite as much time talking to a camera, though.
Now Things Started Getting Steep
Eventually my historical sightseeing was over and the mountain got back to the business of making me work.
The Blue Trail started climbing more aggressively as I continued toward the top.
It wasn't an especially hot day for the middle of a North Carolina summer. The temperature felt pretty comfortable compared with another recent hike I had done at South Mountains State Park.
The humidity, however, was ridiculous.
The air felt thick and sticky enough that I joked you could practically slice through it.
Then the flies decided to join me.
Every once in a while I would have one buzzing around my head and refusing to leave. Apparently there was something irresistible happening around my hair that day.
You know what you call a fly with no wings?
A walk.
Sorry.
Actually, I'm not sorry about that one either.
The Final Climb
As I got closer to the observation area, the trail really started making me work for it.
My heart rate was definitely up, and I stopped a few times to catch my breath and drink some cold water.
I've also been working on my fitness and weight loss, and I've been sitting at one of those annoying plateaus for a while. That's one reason I enjoy hiking. I get a real workout, but I'm not just staring at the display on a treadmill waiting for the time to run out.
I'm trying to get somewhere.
In this case, I was trying to get to that view.
Eventually I could see the gazebo through the trees.
Then I spotted the overlook.
Almost there.
The View Really Was Worth It
When I finally reached the observation area, the trees opened up and I could see out across Hickory, the Catawba Valley and the distant mountains.
There was some haze in the distance that day, but it was still beautiful.
On especially clear days, Catawba County says the view from Bakers Mountain can stretch roughly 70 to 75 miles, with landmarks including Grandfather Mountain and Mount Mitchell visible in the distance.
That's an impressive view for a mountain sitting basically in Hickory's backyard.
People have been going up there specifically for that view for generations. Local history collected by the county includes memories of people hiking Bakers Mountain at night and churches holding Easter sunrise services on the slopes.
I mostly just stood there thinking, Wow.
Sometimes that really is enough.
Getting Back Down Was Not Quite as Easy as I Expected
Once I reached the top, I figured the hard part was basically finished.
Now we just go downhill.
Easy.
Except apparently Bakers Mountain hadn't agreed to that arrangement.
There were still plenty of sections on the way back where the trail climbed again, and by the end my legs were definitely beginning to feel like Jell-O.
We eventually made it back to the picnic area and broke out lunch. We had cheese cubes, tuna packets and protein shakes, which might not sound particularly fancy, but after hiking for a while it tasted pretty good.
We had originally considered eating near the top.
Then there was a bee.
The bee won.
We ate somewhere else.
Would I Hike Bakers Mountain Again?
Absolutely.
Bakers Mountain isn't some enormous wilderness destination, and that's actually part of what I like about it. You can be close to Hickory and still get a legitimate climb, creek crossings, thick forest, interesting history and a great view.
And now that I've researched everything I walked past, I think the place is even more interesting.
There are rocks that may date back hundreds of millions of years. There are remnants of an old family home sitting beside the Blue Trail. A child who grew up there later fought his way through Europe during World War II. Tories reportedly hid on the mountain during the American Revolution. American chestnut trees once dominated areas that look completely different today.
And somehow during all of that history, my greatest personal battle was still against a spiderweb.
I had a great time hiking Bakers Mountain, and I'm glad I chose the Blue Trail. I got the workout I wanted, found a lot more along the way than I expected, and finally got that beautiful view at the top.
The only thing I would change next time?
I'm finding Mr. Stick before the first spiderweb instead of after it.
Thanks a bunch for coming along on another CoreniaBug adventure!
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment