5 Surprising Pickle Facts From My Visit to The Pickle Fetish Company 🥒
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
5 Pickle Facts You Probably Didn’t Know 🥒
Apparently I’ve fallen pretty deep into the pickle world lately. 😂 After visiting The Pickle Fetish Company in downtown Lincolnton, North Carolina, I realized there is a LOT more to pickles than a jar sitting next to the sandwiches in your refrigerator.
This place has more than 100 pickle flavors, pickle candy, dill pickle marshmallows, pickle fudge, plush pickles, pickle earrings and an entire museum filled with pickle history and memorabilia. I even came across what they call a haunted pickle, which was definitely not something I expected to see that day.
So after seeing all of that, I started wondering just how much I actually knew about pickles. Turns out, not much. Here are five pickle facts I found pretty interesting.
1. People have been pickling food for thousands of years
Pickles are definitely not a new obsession. Food historians trace pickling back to ancient Mesopotamia around 2400 B.C. People figured out that salt and brine could preserve food long before anyone could just throw something in the refrigerator.
That made seeing some of the older items inside the Pickle Museum even more interesting. Pickles have apparently been hanging around with us for a very long time.
2. Shakespeare really did talk about being “in a pickle”
You’ve probably heard someone say they were “in a pickle” when they got themselves into trouble. Shakespeare used the expression in The Tempest around 1610, although versions of the expression existed before him.
So technically, even Shakespeare appreciated a good pickle reference.
3. A pickle doesn’t actually have to be a cucumber
This one seems obvious once you think about it, but we tend to automatically picture a cucumber when someone says pickle. Pickling is actually a preservation process that can be used on all kinds of fruits and vegetables.
That suddenly makes my pineapple pickles from The Pickle Fetish Company seem a little less crazy.
Okay... maybe only a little.
4. Some dill pickles spend weeks fermenting
Traditional fermented dill pickles aren’t just cucumbers that take a quick bath in vinegar. Regular fermented dills can cure for around three weeks, during which their flavor, color and acidity change.
I definitely have a new appreciation for that jar of pickles after learning that.
5. There’s actually a trick to keeping pickles crunchy
Here’s one I definitely didn’t know. When making cucumber pickles, experts recommend cutting a tiny piece off the blossom end because it can contain an enzyme that causes the pickle to soften.
So apparently even pickles have beauty secrets.
And speaking of questionable pickle decisions, I left The Pickle Fetish Company with pineapple pickles, sweet and spicy jalapeño pickles, freeze dried garlic pickles, dill pickle marshmallows and dill pickle fudge.
The fudge was probably one of the most unusual things I tried. I kept thinking some of these pickle creations could be taken even further. Maybe toast a dill pickle marshmallow and make a pickle s’more with chocolate and graham crackers. Or take a shot of Jameson and follow it with a pickle marshmallow for my own slightly ridiculous version of a pickleback.
Would it work?
I guess there’s only one way to find out. 😂
And I couldn’t possibly finish a pickle post without at least one dad joke...
Why are pickles so good at telling jokes?
Because they always have great dill ivery. 🥒😂
What’s the strangest pickle flavored food you’ve ever tried, and what pickle creation would you actually be brave enough to taste?
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment